Year 5: Parks class
Welcome to Year 5 Parks' Class Page 2022-2023
We hope you have enjoyed a restful and relaxing Summer. We are excited to be teaching and guiding your children as they start their learning journey in Year 5. As a team, we are excited to have Mrs Naylor and Mrs Sumner working with us across both Year 5 classes.
In Year 5, we have high expectations of all of the children, and ask that they come to school with a positive attitude to learning. Our classrooms are happy and positive working environments, where praise and encouragements are used to help every child progress and succeed.
Throughout the year, lots of new and exciting learning will take place. As always, we value the support you can give your child at home and will hope to develop a positive partnership throughout the year. Each week, homework will be set and children will be provided with a home reader. A ‘little and often’ approach will have a powerful and prolonged impact in developing both your child’s enjoyment and resilience in learning.
Please do not hesitate to speak to us if you have any questions throughout the year, it is easier to contact us on Class Dojo or make an appointment through the office.
We look forward to working with you throughout the year and thank you for your continued support.
Meet the Teacher
- PE will take place on a Monday and Tuesday. Please ensure your child has their correct (Summer/Winter) kit in school on these days. Please ensure your child's kit is labelled with their name.
- Homework will be set each Friday on SumDog. Your child will have maths, spellings and grammar homework to complete by the following Friday. A 'little and often' approach is expected.
- Reading books will be shared once a week and reading records are updated by parents and teachers regularly.
- Regular maths challenges/class competitions will be set on SumDog. These tend to run for half a term and the competition winner will be awarded with a special prize.
Robinwood Information 2022
Some information for our upcoming trip to Robinwood in December. This will be updated shortly.
Our Behaviour Charter
Our school Behaviour Policy is built upon the ‘5 pillars of Pivotal Practice’ (‘When Adults Change, Everything Changes’, Paul Dix):
Consistent, calm adult behaviour,
First attention to best conduct,
Scripting difficult conversations,
We have three simple goals: Be safe, Be a Learner, Be Kind and Respectful.
Year 5 Overview of Themes
Year 5 Text Overview
Year 5 Recommended Reading Books
We have selected these recommended reading lists from Peters Education to ensure that our children have access to a wide range of books. These books are all available in school and form our 'core' texts in our class libraries. These lists are chosen because they:
- link with our curriculum for each year group
- represent different cultures
- introduce children to new authors and expand their knowledge of familiar authors
- ensure progression
- match topics of interests for our children
- tackle current themes
Year 5 White Rose Maths Learning Overview
English (Reading, Writing, Spelling, Grammar):