Welcome to Nursery 2021
Every child in Nursery is allocated a key worker. You will be informed of your child's key worker who will;
- Work alongside parents and carers to ensure that there is continuity of care for the child thus supporting the child’s emotional well-being.
- Observes the child to identify how they learn through their play, their next aspect of development, what their interests are, whether there is any cause for concern or need for extra support.
- Keep a record of your child's learning journey and update it regularly on Tapestry.
EARLY YEARS CURRICULUM
In the Early Years we have developed a wonderful curriculum which caters for the children's interests. The overview below contains an outline of the topics we cover, but the content of the topics are adapted according to the needs and interests of our children. To find out more information about our EYFS curriculum please see the curriculum map below.
For more information on the new Early Years Curriculum 2021 please go to - Key Information- Curriculum - Early Years.
Alternatively please go to the bottom of the page and click on the document 'Development matters ages and stages'.
Nursery Text Overview
Autumn Term 2021
Welcome to the nursery class of September 2021. I am very excited to teach your children this year and I am looking forward to helping them in their learning and development.
This year Nursery and Reception will be following ‘Year B’ and all of the themes are found on the long term plan.
The first theme in Autumn 1 is ‘Knowing me, knowing you’. This will include a lot of activities such as, self-portraits, feelings, families and using our senses. If you would like to see this in more detail please have a look at the medium term planning on the Nursery pages of the website. Some activities may be changed due to the children’s interests and ideas.
We sometimes ask parents to bring in different items to help us complete learning activities so please keep up to date with any letters sent home or information on Tapestry.
At Our Lady and St Gerard’s, we have a lovely and relaxing nursery classroom, where all the activities are easily accessible for the children. The children are very independent and are able to choose activities and move around the classroom when they please. Adult-led activities are encouraged by the teachers, including letters and sounds sessions, literacy lessons and maths. The children are able to access the outdoor area at all times and therefore, children may get messy when they have explored the environment! The outdoor area offers endless possibilities and has a range of different areas of learning.
Ways to help at home
- Some children have found it difficult to help with tidy up routines at nursery; therefore please can parents encourage children at home to tidy up independently. Give your child some simple and short instructions.
- Please can parents encourage children to try to get dressed independently (i.e. putting jumpers on and shoes) because it helps them get ready for Reception class next September, when they will be changing for PE. It also helps Mrs Schilz and I throughout the day (especially when we have 26 children).
- Please can parents label every single piece of clothing, including wellies and coats. Wellies will be kept in school for those muddy and rainy days.
- Help your child to count and recognise numbers through games, when walking to school and even at the supermarket.
- Help your child to begin to recognise letters (once homework is sent home).
We will eventually be doing phonics activities every day at nursery and it is important that parents are involved with the homework tasks sent home as your child will make fantastic progress. We will be learning a letter per week and we encourage parents to help with letter recognition and to help children identify objects starting with this sound.
Alongside this, we will also be looking a particular shape, colour and number.
Week beginning: 13.09.21- we will be looking at the letter ‘s’, the shape of a circle, number 1 and focusing on the colour yellow.
Week beginning: 20.09.21- letter ‘a’, the shape of a square, number 2 and the colour red.
Week beginning: 27.09.21- letter ‘t’, the shape of a triangle, number 3 and the colour blue.
Week beginning: 04.10.21- letter ‘p’, the shape of a rectangle, number 4 and the colour brown.
Week beginning: 11.10.21- letter ‘i’, the shape of a star, number 5 and the colour black.
Week beginning: 18.10.21- letter ‘n’, the shape of a diamond, number 6 and the colour white.
Children can bring in an object starting with this sound or an object to fit in with the colour theme to keep at nursery for the week. This will be put on our letter of the week shelf.
Meet the Teacher
Meet the teacher is on Tuesday 7th of September at 3.30pm and 4pm. This will provide you with an opportunity to ask me any questions and ways you could help your child at home to develop further.
Stay and Play
At Our Lady and St Gerard’s, we have an open door policy, which means parents can call in to see their children if you are unable to attend the sessions throughout the year. Please see either Mrs Schilz or I. You can call into these sessions for either 10 minutes or for an hour.
The Stay and Play dates for this half term are:
Tuesday 5th October – 12.25pm-1.25pm
Thursday 21st October- 8.45am-9.45am.
Please remember to bring….
- A pair of wellies that can be kept in nursery.
- A photograph of your child when he or she was a baby (to be sent to school as soon as possible). A picture of your child’s family would also be good. I will photocopy these pictures as soon as I receive them so please don’t worry about them getting spoiled.
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me on:
Meet the teacher
Thanks to all the parents that came to meet the teacher. Don't worry if you didn't get chance to make it as I have added the PowerPoint below.
Early Years Open Evening
The Early Years team will be holding an open evening for those children who are starting within the next 12 months. For nursery this means for those children who start at January, Easter and September 2022.
The date of this evening is October the 19th from 5-6pm.
This will give you a chance to look at both the Nursery and Reception classroom.
Links to external sites:
Maths and Literacy games: