At Our Lady & St. Gerard's we want to provide a curriculum which is bespoke and meets the needs of our children. We want our curriculum to prepare our learners for the next stages of their lives, by equipping them with the skills, knowledge and understanding required to cope in our 21st Century world.
Our overarching curriculum aims demonstrate our overarching curriculum intentions. Click the link above.
We strive to ensure our children are fully engaged and engrossed in their learning, with a variety of planned and well-organised learning opportunities. Subject Leaders work hard to ensure:
- our curriculum is progressive
- monitoring and evaluation within subject areas is meaningful and continuous
- additional opportunities are planned which extend and enrich the curriculum.
Members of our Governing Body are linked to curriculum areas to provide challenge and support.
The term 'Blended Learning' is a term used to describe an approach to education which combines traditional classroom approaches with online educational materials and opportunities for online interaction. This approach is not a new one and we have been using online materials and platforms to support the learning in school for a long time. However, with the recent COVID pandemic and the restrictions that have been in place, we aim to ensure that our blended learning is the best it can be. This means that children can go online to practise skills and consolidate their classroom learning.
As families/pupils and 'bubbles' are asked to self-isolate, we strive to provide home learning which mirrors the work being done in school as closely as possible. This means that teachers still follow their curriculum plans and their daily timetable to ensure that there is still coverage of the curriculum. This means that when children are back in school they will be at the same point in the units of work as others. Please visit our Home Learning page for further information.
We use Purple Mash to set blended learning and home learning tasks. Purple Mash is an award-winning cross-curricular website for nursery and primary school children. It enables children to explore and enhance their knowledge in a fun and creative way. This platform allows us to set tasks to individuals or whole classes. Children have individual logins which allows them to complete 2Dos set by the teachers. Teachers can provide feedback and rewards for tasks completed.
Sumdog is an online maths and spelling practice tool that can be used to support home learning and for blended learning.
Sumdog is used to:
- Consolidate and revise key skills already taught in school
- Reduce isolation (if learning at home) as children can play alongside their classmates in a secure environment
- Help children stay engaged and motivated with games-based learning that rewards accuracy.
- Children have personal logins and tasks can be tailored to particular needs. Teachers can set group or individual challenges for targeted intervention at home or at school.